About Me

My photo
I am posting in this blog ,recipes which my 87 years old mother used in her cooking. Some of these are her own, some from her friends,some hand me downs from her elders etc etc. So the variety is awesome and as an admirer of his grandma's cooking, my son Arvind created this blog so that my mother's age old recipes can be shared with one and all .I have also posted some of my "tried and tested" recipes, especially the Non-vegetarian ones.I thought a purely vegetarian recipes' blog can be made more interesting with some non-veg recipes thrown inbetween.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sweet Sour Mango curry


The lovely mango season is just round the corner and what better recipe can I post than that with ripe but sour mangoes which you may have bought by mistake!

Ingredients:
Sweet sour mangoes (size of your fist) : 5 or 6 ( Ripe but sour mangoes)
Jaggery : 250 gms
salt : 1/4 tsp
Green chillies : 5 nos.
Wheat flour or maida : 1 Tbsp
For seasoning:
Mustard : 1 tsp
Edible oil : 2 tsp
karbev leaves: 6 or 7
Urad dal : 1 tsp

Method:
Take a thick bottomed vessel and keep the washed mangoes in it and add water to just cover it.Place on stove, cover & cook till the mangoes are done.When cool remove the skin of the mangoes and put it back in the vessel and slightly squeeze the mangoes in the water in which the mangoes were cooked so that the juice gets mixed with water. Now add slit green chillies,jaggery and salt and bring to boil till the liquid thickens with jaggery. Next mix the wheat flour in 3 Tbsp water so that no lumps are formed.Pour this into the vessel and mix well and bring to boil stirring continuously.You can see the liquid thickening. Remove from the stove.Season with the seasoning items given above by heating oil and adding the mustard, urad dal ( let it become golden brown) and karbev leaves in that order and drop into the curry whrn hot.Stir well and serve hot with Indian any lunch.

2 comments:

KonkaniBlogger said...

I think we call this HumaaNe, but don't add the flour. Will try your version sometime. My all time favourite.

Anonymous said...

Same as Maya, we call it bharata but do not add flour. adding flour will make it thicker right?